Fork me on GitHub
The Burning Crusade Windows_Install_Script.bat issue
Hello. I have been following the wiki and am at the step where you install the CMANGOS database. I am trying to run the C:\Mangos\tbc-db\Windows_Install_Script.bat and get the following error when selecting Option 4 (New Install):

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mangos'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I have verified the install paths in the bat file itself as:

SET CMangos="C:\Mangos\mangos"
SET ACID="C:\Mangos\acid"
SET User="mangos"
SET Password="mangos"
SET WorldDB="mangos"
SET CharactersDB="characters"
SET RealmdDB="realmd"

The paths are correct and I have used the defaults as indicated by the installation Wiki. If I install Classic Mangos (Client 1.12.1) everything works perfectly so I know my sql installation (XAMPP) is working. I manually go in and delete everything in the database (Characters, Mangos, Realmd). I also make sure the user Mangos is deleted as well. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks!
Does user mangos have write access in the mangos db?
ApexWoW.com- The unofficial CMaNGOS testing platform
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Beerfish for this post:
  â€¢ Farkie
(01-19-2016, 02:51 PM)Beerfish Wrote: Does user mangos have write access in the mangos db?

How would I confirm this for you? Is it in the script? I believe the script is supposed to create the user as well. To be clear there is no user named Mangos, nor Characters, Mangos, or Realmd databases when I run the script. I hope this helps answer your question. Thanks!
Well, try and insert a record manually with user mangos in the mangos db and see if you get an access denied error.
ApexWoW.com- The unofficial CMaNGOS testing platform
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Beerfish for this post:
  â€¢ Farkie
(01-19-2016, 03:23 PM)Beerfish Wrote: Well, try and insert a record manually with user mangos in the mangos db and see if you get an access denied error.

So from a command line if I run:

mysql -uroot -p < mangos/sql/create/db_create_mysql.sql

mysql -uroot -p mangos < mangos/sql/base/mangos.sql

mysql -uroot -p characters < mangos/sql/base/characters.sql

mysql -uroot -p realmd < mangos/sql/base/realmd.sql

and

mysql -uroot -p mangos < ~/tbc-db/Current_Release/Full_DB/TBCDB_1.4.0_cmangos-tbc_s1982_SD2-TBC_s2720.sql

I am able to create the Mangos user, all 3 databases, and the Mangos Database gets filled. However if I try to run the script with Option 1 (Updates only to the DB), I get the same problem.
I have just uninstalled everything and went back to classic. For whatever reason I have had no luck getting TBC working. Classic works no problem for me. Even Playerbot was giving me errors on TBC. Is there an issue with that build possibly? I am no expert by any means, but in my experience the Classic setup works great, while I had nothing but issues trying to get TBC working. Thanks anyways.
I did a fresh TBC install recently and had no such problems, though I didn't use the .bat script you mentioned (on Linux). Glad to hear you got Classic running but don't write off TBC if that's the one you'd rather have - I say.

After you do the command:
Code:

Then you should be able to fill the databases as the mangos user, eg:
Code:
mysql -umangos -p mangos < mangos/sql/base/mangos.sql
mysql -umangos -p characters < mangos/sql/base/characters.sql
mysql -umangos -p realmd < mangos/sql/base/realmd.sql

If it fails at this point, you have a good idea of where to start troubleshooting. Let us know if you decide to try again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lankytim for this post:
  â€¢ Farkie
(01-20-2016, 08:31 AM)Lankytim Wrote: I did a fresh TBC install recently and had no such problems, though I didn't use the .bat script you mentioned (on Linux). Glad to hear you got Classic running but don't write off TBC if that's the one you'd rather have - I say.

After you do the command:
Code:

Then you should be able to fill the databases as the mangos user, eg:
Code:
mysql -umangos -p mangos < mangos/sql/base/mangos.sql
mysql -umangos -p characters < mangos/sql/base/characters.sql
mysql -umangos -p realmd < mangos/sql/base/realmd.sql

If it fails at this point, you have a good idea of where to start troubleshooting. Let us know if you decide to try again.

Thanks for replying! I really would like to get TBC working. I have run all commands for sql via command line and they are working. However I have 3 problems currently:

1. When running update packs I am unable to C:\Mangos>mysql -uroot -p characters < tbc-db/Current_Release/Updates/1.4.2_corepatch_characters_s2035_to_s2120.sql

I get the error:
ERROR 1054 (42S22) at line 5: Unknown column 'required_s1350_11716_09_characters_mail' in 'character_db_version'

2. When running update I am unable to C:\Mangos>mysql -uroot -p mangos < mangos/sql/updates/mangos/s2328_01_mangos_scriptdev2_tables.sql

I get the error:
ERROR 1054 (42S22) at line 1: Unknown column 'required_s2326_01_mangos_mangos_string' in 'db_version'

3. Slighty off topic, but when I pull playerbot for tbc I get the following error when trying to git pull to master:

playerbot worldsession.cpp merge error (not as important, but would like to get bots working). Please note Playerbot works perfectly for me on classic using the same exact methed of git pull. The command I am using is "git pull git://github.com/blueboy/portaltbc.git master"

This is the screen text:

CMANGOS@CMANGOS01 MINGW64 /c/Mangos/mangos (master)
$ git pull git://github.com/blueboy/portaltbc.git master
remote: Counting objects: 1283, done.
remote: Total 1283 (delta 91), reused 91 (delta 91), pack-reused 1192
Receiving objects: 100% (1283/1283), 1.06 MiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1037/1037), completed with 42 local objects.
From git://github.com/blueboy/portaltbc
* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
Auto-merging win/VC140/game.vcxproj
Auto-merging src/game/WorldSession.cpp
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in src/game/WorldSession.cpp
Auto-merging src/game/World.cpp
Auto-merging src/game/Player.h
Auto-merging src/game/Player.cpp
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

Please let me know what other information I can provide if any. Thanks for your assistance!!
It would appear that you are still authenticating to MySQL as the root user in those commands. If you look at my previous post, note the difference between -uroot and -umangos in the mysql commands which is the user parameter (sorry if this is pointing out the obvious).

While this may work OK for the DB creates - as you say you've done - the DB install script (and the game server once you get it running) are by default trying to authenticate to MySQL as the mangos user.

You could simply use the root username and password in the DB install script, mangosd.conf and realmd.conf but I wouldn't recommend this.

Instead, try to work out what is going wrong with/around the MySQL 'mangos'@'localhost' user creation process that seems to be the cause of the problem. I would start that by verifying you can authenticate and authorise interactively, eg:
Code:
mysql -umangos -p

Then, if you reach the mysql> prompt:
Code:
use mangos;
show tables;
use realmd;
show tables;
use characters;
show tables;
quit;

If that works, then verify the same username and password you used are entered in the relevant .conf files and Windows_Install_Script.bat.

Are there any other services connecting to your MySQL server? Have you modified the default my.cnf?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lankytim for this post:
  â€¢ Farkie
(01-20-2016, 09:26 PM)Lankytim Wrote: It would appear that you are still authenticating to MySQL as the root user in those commands. If you look at my previous post, note the difference between -uroot and -umangos in the mysql commands which is the user parameter (sorry if this is pointing out the obvious).

While this may work OK for the DB creates - as you say you've done - the DB install script (and the game server once you get it running) are by default trying to authenticate to MySQL as the mangos user.

You could simply use the root username and password in the DB install script, mangosd.conf and realmd.conf but I wouldn't recommend this.

Instead, try to work out what is going wrong with/around the MySQL 'mangos'@'localhost' user creation process that seems to be the cause of the problem. I would start that by verifying you can authenticate and authorise interactively, eg:
Code:
mysql -umangos -p

Then, if you reach the mysql> prompt:
Code:
use mangos;
show tables;
use realmd;
show tables;
use characters;
show tables;
quit;

If that works, then verify the same username and password you used are entered in the relevant .conf files and Windows_Install_Script.bat.

Are there any other services connecting to your MySQL server? Have you modified the default my.cnf?

Hey buddy. Thanks for getting back to me. So I have completely started over my TBC build. Following your advice I am able to create the databases and use the mangos id and password (I have corrected them per your instructions). I was successful in updating the 1.4.1 corepatch and update pack. I was successful in the 1.4.2 mangos corepatch. When trying to update the 1.4.2 characters corepatch please note the following syntax and error:

C:\Mangos>mysql -umangos -p characters < tbc-db/Current_Release/Updates/1.4.2_corepatch_characters_s2035_to_s2120.sql
Enter password: ******
ERROR 1054 (42S22) at line 5: Unknown column 'required_s1350_11716_09_characters_mail' in 'character_db_version'

I was getting stuck at this part previously when using mysql -uroot instead of mysql -umangos if that help. Appreciate any insight here. Thanks!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  database issue - creature_equip_template empty RichardGe 1 806 03-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Last Post: RichardGe
  [CLASSIC] Issue with Extracting Wrsx 1 876 12-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Cyberium
  ScriptDev2 Build issue wyattdumas 3 1,751 07-22-2016, 01:42 AM
Last Post: wyattdumas
  [CLASSIC] Compile issue on Linux w/GCC 6.1? liko 5 2,850 07-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Last Post: adellaci
  Issue with DB \base installation Zodir 5 2,588 05-30-2016, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Lankytim
  [WOTLK] Windows_Install_Script Error TheMourningWood 12 5,746 03-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Last Post: grz3s
  [CLASSIC] Fresh Install - SQL scripting issue? pillbug22 2 2,296 09-16-2015, 01:20 AM
Last Post: pillbug22