Fork me on GitHub
Random Creature Movement behavior
I have noticed creatures that are assigned random movement behave different than how they do on Blizzards live servers. On the live servers they appear to sometimes move more than one waypoint at a time, which in my opinion makes them appear more lifelike and dynamic. I am also curious if this affects the "confused" type movement as well, I have not researched that..

On a test server they seem to always move 1 waypoint every time at an interval of 5~(technically between 500-10000ms) seconds. Below is a video captured inside Zul'Farrak showing the difference:

Before I made the switch form MaNGOS to CMaNGOS I noticed and reported the same issue there, it was surprisingly easy to come up with a fix for it, not sure if said fix applies to other cores than Zero though. Random Creature Movement adjustment - GitHub
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Efonius for this post:
  â€¢ HerrTrigger
I personaly thing the idea of that commit author is not so bad.
(04-06-2014, 03:45 PM)Cyberium Wrote: I personaly thing the idea of that commit author is not so bad.

I tested his code in-game and it looked very good, there was a significant change in how the creatures moved which was for the better(or more like retail). I don't know the correct timers that are used on retail and I guess that would be hard to calculate, but the change looks just like Blizzard's movement when compared side by side (retail and MaNGOS).
I too would love to see an improved random movement also.

I noticed same problem but kept forgetting to talk to someone about it.
well that is a nice to have improvement
-- Axxl
I agree random movement needs an improvement. Smile
Looks pretty good to me... Smile
In [12627] Don't tell me we was not fast about this :p
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cyberium for this post:
  â€¢ Rog360
Thanks! You were really fast, indeed. Smile

What would be nice to see now if this has an impact on the bug (at least for classic core) where some NPCs with random movement near a cave (or inside it) have strange behaviour like leaving the cave and climbing on top of it, far from their spawn point.
(04-08-2014, 11:12 AM)cala Wrote: What would be nice to see now if this has an impact on the bug (at least for classic core) where some NPCs with random movement near a cave (or inside it) have strange behaviour like leaving the cave and climbing on top of it, far from their spawn point.

Do not expect any change on that, sorry. That would require much more work than done here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Make creature stop and stay on waypoint stavaren 4 730 03-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: stavaren
  Help needed to determine correct movement behavior namreeb 0 388 12-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Last Post: namreeb
  Determining NPC Movement and Position in Client Kazadoom 1 573 11-07-2016, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Kazadoom
  purpose of make some movement ack message magiceye 2 1,520 10-16-2015, 01:54 AM
Last Post: magiceye
  check movement position magiceye 0 911 09-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: magiceye
  Movement sync magiceye 1 1,223 08-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Last Post: namreeb
  Linked Movement - Npc Speed Differences (BUG) X-Savior 0 1,109 04-06-2015, 03:18 AM
Last Post: X-Savior
  NPC Movement and Scripts Trigger By Game Event X-Savior 1 1,630 01-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Schmoozerd
  Per creature spell damage modifier? ul1984 2 2,499 10-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Last Post: ul1984
  Creature-Movement Synchronisation fgreinus 5 4,902 03-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Last Post: SADraco